WHITEWATER RAFTING ON THE ARKANSAS RIVER, COLORADO
- Starting at the Continental Divide the Arkansas River drops a dizzying 5000′ feet in elevation over the course of mere 125 miles! This elevation drops makes the Arkansas River a Mecca for whitewater rafting. With rapids that range from class I to class V, the Arkansas can provide the perfect opportunity for all ability levels!
- The Arkansas River, America’s most commercially rafted river, provides day runs and opportunities for multi-day excursions… and Captain Zipline lays central. Upstream from our adventure park lay Pine Creek, the Numbers/Narrows and Browns Canyon sections of the river. Our park is situated along the Upper Bighorn Sheep Canyon. Downstream lay the Lower Bighorn Sheep Canyon and popular Royal Gorge sections.
- Pine Creek, Arkansas River – Class V. Run commercially with a limited launch window. Located above the Numbers section, it’s the steepest section of whitewater the Arkansas River offers and the most difficult.
- Numbers, Arkansas River – Class IV+.The Numbers can be run as a day run or combined with the Narrows for a full day. Tucked in bouldery canyons, the Numbers is a steep and technical whitewater run with lots of maneuvering and drops.
- Narrows, Arkansas River – Class III-IV. Located just below the Numbers, the Narrows is often combined with the Numbers or Browns Canyon Run below for a full-day. It is a common launching point for multi-day rafting trips. The section offers non-stop whitewater with stunning views of 14,000′ peaks.
- Browns Canyon, Arkansas River – Class III-IV. Browns Canyon is located between Buena Vista and Salida, Colorado. It is easily accessible and renowned as the most popular family rafting section and most popular section of whitewater in the country. For first timers and experts, Browns Canyon offers great whitewater and beautiful scenery.
- Upper and Lower Bighorn Sheep Canyon, Arkansas River – Class II-IV. A milder section of the Arkansas River perfect for beginner paddlers or
multi-day excursions. A popular fishing section that offers incredible views of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and unique geography. Runs from just above Salida to Cañon City.
- Royal Gorge, Arkansas River – Class IV-V. Located near Cañon City, this section offers big, powerful whitewater and stunning canyon views with looming cliffs and the Royal Gorge Bridge, America’s highest suspension bridge, 1000′ feet above the water.
OUR WHITEWATER RAFTING PARTNERS
- 2315 East Main Street
Canon City, Colorado
- Family floats, Royal Gorge, Bighorn Sheep Canyon Rafting as well as multi-day, overnight trips. Raft Masters has been in business and under same ownership since 1989. Offers competitive prices, quality professional rafting experiences and strives to be “The best rafting company in Colorado.”
AMERICAN ADVENTURE EXPEDITION
- 12844 East Highways 24 / 285
Buena Vista, CO 81211
(719) 395-2409; (800) 288-06755
- Two beautiful riverfront locations in Buena Vista and Canon City. “AAE” has been rafting for over 25 years, offers affordable raft trips from family-friendly to high adventure. Want to add another activity? No problem, enjoy horseback riding, biking, ATV tours, Hot Springs and more.
- 24070 CR 301
Buena Vista, Colorado 81211
(800) 723-898744641 Hwy 50
- Canon City, CO 81212
- River Runners has been rafting Colorado’s Arkansas River since 1972. Choose from two locations and a variety of rafting trips including half-day, full-day and overnight adventures on beginner, intermediate and advanced whitewater.
- 10830 CR 165
Salida, CO 81201
(719) 539-7737; (800) 428-1479
- Small, locally-owned, located between Salida and Buena Vista. Family Fun floats starting at only $30. Half-day trip affords you all of Brown’s Canyon since we have a private take-out. Half-day and full-day rafting trips; inflatable kayaks.
ARKANSAS RIVER TOURS
- 49311 US Hwy 50 Unit B
Cañon City, CO 81212
(719) 966-1359; (800) 321-4352
- Offerings tours on the Arkansas River since 1973, ART is committed to providing the safest, highest-quality river trips available. ART has a strong background in experiential education which transfers into the personable trips we offer.
THE ADVENTURE COMPANY
- 12847 U.S. Hwy. 24/285
P.O. Box 5247
Buena Vista, Colorado 81211
- The essence of life is exemplified by the lifelong memories created when sharing the thrill of whitewater rafting in Colorado, with your friends and family. With over 25 Colorado rafting trips on 4 rivers, other activities, and comfortable lodging, we can help you plan the perfect vacation!
THE BUENA VISTA ADVENTURE HUB
- 801 Front Loop
Buena Vista, CO 81211
- Whether you’re whitewater rafting down the Arkansas River or ripping off-road trails with views of 14,000 foot peaks,
you’ll be sure to have an amazing time! Zipline tours, aerial park, and horseback riding tours also available.
BILL DVORAK RAFT, KAYAK & FISH EXPEDITIONS
- 17921 US Hwy 285
Nathrop, CO 81236
(719) 539-6851; (800) 824-3795
- Colorado’s 1st Licensed Outfitter Since 1969, Outfitting 8 Rivers/28 Canyons in the southwestern USA. Offers trips from one/half to 8 days. Groups, families, corporations, individuals. ‘Kids Go FREE’ packages!
- For more information on visiting Salida, Colorado, check out SALIDA.com, the oldest published website in Central Colorado. With information about lodging, dining, and recreation; you’ll learn everything that you need to, to explore the “Hearth of the Rockies”.